Wednesday, January 26

Double whammy for Tim

There's a lot going on here under the hood, so you'll excuse if things seem disjointed. Today is the feast day of Saint Timothy and the epistle reading below is from the beginning of second Timothy.

"Paul, an Apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God for the promise of life in Christ Jesus, to Timothy, my dear child: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
 ...
I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands.  For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control."

According to legend, Timothy was called by God when he was a teenager, was an exceptionally apt pupil when it came to learning texts and became an intimate friend of Paul, who refers to Timothy as a son. Paul give 'his son' the following advice.

"Prescribe and teach these things. Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you." (I Tim. 4)

So?

So, my first name is Timothy, who heard the call of God when I was a teenager.  Yes, I'm pretty keen with a book.  All of those things struck me when I heard the reading above at mass.  I've read scripture for a long time, but hearing it said in another persons' voice, especially brother Les' mellifluous and sonorous baritone, is different.  More to the point, unlike most any other reading, that was to me..personally...My name.  "Timothy, my dear child."  It felt as if there was nobody else there.

That's when I knew the door had closed.  I can't just sit in the pews...mumble through the forms...just be a 'good guy' and average parishoner.  What kind of formal orders (or if they are even necessary) doesn't matter, but that Call...that Voice...I cannot ignore it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment