Friday, February 4

I'd like to introduce y'all to my Dad.

"Lighten up!"
In the first I would say that the Divine is infinite and complex beyond comprehension.  Since we have a limited and flawed perception of the universe, so too we have a very limited and flawed perception of the Divine.  One can catch a glimpse of the potter from the pot...and one can see the Creator in her creation.  Because we are all different (as I like to think of it, we each wear our own glasses that colour/change our perceptions), how each of us see the Divine is different and unique.  Some see 'God' as a creative, maternal figure, others as a stern, white-bearded man who points and shouts in Elizabethan English a lot ("I know thine most inward thoughts, thou dost beggeth for a smiting and thou shalt have it, for I am the Lord thy God" *thunderclap*).

The largest part of my personal experience with God has been that of a loving father (to the point I call her 'Dad'), who is there to guide, encourage and gently push. You're driving the bike, though, and if you drive off the path when you were told not too, well, we both know you got what was comin to ya and it doesn't mean that He doesn't love you any less.

In recent months, there has been a new aspect which has slid in to my limited perception of the Divine, as evidenced by the pic of the handsome fella above.  You see, my Father has a sense of humour.  In our conversations, there's a lot of chuckling going on...mostly at me not seeing the hints which had been provided.  It's never in malice and, often enough, I end up smiling too.

Throughout the First Nations of the Plains and Southwest, there are several cycles of stories about Coyote.  He is most commonly known as a trickster who, as often as not, gets hoisted by his own petard.  In some story-cycles, he is the Creator-made-manifest.  In general, he functions outside the bounds of 'polite society', does what is right by his own reckoning,  pokes fun at society and laughs at everyone, including himself.

So...here's the overall message I'm getting.

"Dude, lighten up! 

Yes...You are the center of the universe, a special snowflake made in my image and likeness...just like everyone else.  Make ya feel better?

Look, tomorrow will be better, but only if you want it to be.  If you don't like where you're at, then move, but know that staying or going is your decision. 

I made all this for cheers, not jeers.  Don't ignore, destroy or hoard it. Enjoy the world and everything (and everyone) in it.

Do you honestly think I care what words you use to say 'thanks' or what music you play or how you dress?   Seriously?  Seriously?!   *leans back head and howls* 

Relax...I got it covered."

I hope that you can hear the wit and sarcasm, I know I can. 

For those who have attempted to independently discern the nature of the Divine (as opposed to taking the blue pill offered by catechism and/or Tradition), we imbue our perception of the Creator with certain qualities which are needed in our lives.  One could argue just as strongly that the need is perceived and God  reveals that aspect of Herself to you. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

It's very easy to succumb to the 'gravity' of all the theology and the importance of X and of Y or the grave heresy of the Z's.  I've been known to become very introverted in an unhealthy manner.  I guess that's why I've got the unassuming Divine, fully of pithy and deflating observations as a reminder of an old aphorism taught to me long ago.  "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall ever be amused."

Thanks, Dad.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment