Saturday, April 9

Love one another....

I have been involved in a spirited discussion on another blog which started with Christian Dominionists and their anti-gay rhetoric.  During the exchange, I made a flippant, off-hand remark (a shock, I know) about that 'love everybody' stuff.  The response by one individual surprised me.
I highly doubt you love everyone as it is impossible.
It made me think.  In a strict sense, I guess the individual has a point.  It is difficult for anyone to truly love all of mankind.  Those who are distant or align with your views are much easier to love than those who oppose you in thought, word or deed.  Yet, that is precisely what Christ challenges to do in the Sermon on the Mount.
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? (Mat 5.46)
We should realise that those who oppose us, those who hate us, they are all no less children of God then we.  They, too, have been made in the image and likeness of God and they, too, contain within them the spark of the Infinite Divine, making them beings of light.

Returning to the reply, I find issue with the phrase "as it is impossible" to love everyone.  God loves everyone.  Jesus, human in all ways but sin, loved everyone.  We are told to love one another as Christ loved us.  There is a thought which comes with this.  The more we love, the closer we come to God.
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (1 Jn. 4. 7-8).
 I'll point out that there's nowhere that says that it would be easy.  Then again, all too often we find what is right and what is easy at cross-purposes. 

May we all have the prudence to discern the right from the easy and the fortitude to follow that right path, no matter how long or hard it may be.


4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your fortitude in engaging my troll. I don't have the energy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Engaging? I only promised dinner and a kiss. :)

    I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread. I was hoping to get some idea of the 'whys' of other people's opinions in an attempt to better understand them. I THINK I have succeeded, though I cannot say that I am wholly satisfied with the answers I have derived. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all, Tim! I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What takes fortitude is "living" with that troll. I appreciate your efforts to love him, Tim.

    ReplyDelete