Wednesday, July 25

Subtle

I should say at the first that I am a rather meticulous person when it comes to handling money.  From the cash in the collection (presidents front and upright, stacked in ascending denomination) to my own personal funds, things are ALWAYS handled in a very specific, organized and accountable manner.  With that as a backdrop....

I went out last night to do some personal counseling and work with a young man who is in some straits and figured I would get petrol on my way there to him.  Lo and behold, I had left my wallet in my other pants (no, really), so I gave a ring to a buddy who lent me $10.

After picking up the young man, we swung by my place to retrieve my wallet, partly for legal reasons but mostly because he's flat broke and I offered to pick up dinner.  Over the course of the evening, it became obvious that this fellow is trying to make it and, given proper support and help, very well may succeed.. On the way back to his place, we were talking about the use of subtlety and implied vs.explicit in social situations. when I stopped by another petrol station to top off the tank and get the $10 to pay back my buddy.

Coming back to the car, I shoved my hands in my pockets only to find a $20 bill, folded neat as you please into a small square.  You know...how I NEVER handle money.  I just looked up and thought, 'Really, Dad?' because this sort of thing is seeming to happen with increased frequency.

So, of course, I got in the car and handed him the little square.  "Here, Coyote said this is yours."
Subtle, you old Dog.


3 comments:

  1. Ah hahahahahahahaha!
    only cause I know how that jacks with you!
    that's a Wiley Old Coot if ever I saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God will never be outdone in generosity; no, She won't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't Her generosity which makes me twitch, as I tend to be caught standing, mouth agape, when I consider said generosity. No, it's that the more I pay attention, the more of these 'winks to the camera' and subtle chuckles I seem to see.

    Wiley Old Coot, indeed. A magnificent rascal.

    ReplyDelete