Tuesday, February 19

Lenten reading :Who do you trust?

Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!

I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God all my life long.

Do not put your trust in princes,  in mortals, in whom there is no help.

When their breath departs, they return to the earth; on that very day their plans perish. (Psalm 146:1-4)

Warning: hard truths and ugly words ahead.

There is a lot of noise on the internet with the recent abdication of Benedict XVI and the conclave of cardinals which will meet to choose a new pontiff.  Chalk up my cynicism to being generational, but I don't hold much hope for a group of like-minded senior executives to break with generations of tradition to possibly harm their position in an altruistic attempt to right a sinking ship.

Put far more bluntly by my father years ago, "Look, our generation knows that we've f****d this world up, most of us don't care and our only hope is to die before the bill comes due."  In my time on this planet, there isn't a single sector, public or private, secular or religious, which hasn't taken taken their turn at this, flagrantly and egregiously, and been caught at it. It appears that part of our mortal, human condition that when given authority and power is invested, especially in an institution, we screw it up.

So, who do you trust?  Not institutions, for certain.  What about people you know?  To a certain extent, as we have enough of a connection with them to know how far NOT to trust them.  And the Divine?  Every time, the Boss comes through.  She never stops loving, He never quits you.

Trust not in the Princes of the Church, Kings of countries or Captains of industry, for they are ALL mortal, ALL fallible.

Trust in God, for He is immortal, She is infallible.

No comments:

Post a Comment