Monday, December 20

Advent..Lent...homophones, at the least.

A common thread in the last few weeks has been that Advent is about pausing, reflecting and preparation.  Specifically, it's about slowing down, consideration and making ready for the birth of Yeshua bin Yosef, scion of David and of Jesse.

The preparation part is something I recall from childhood, but this reflecting and slowing down thing...that's Lenten-tide stuff.  And yet, they both have similar roots.  Both are times 'out of ordinary' spent in preparation for 'the big thing'.  Both are opportunities to become more deeply engaged and find a closer union with the Divine.

Winter, particularly this part of winter, is about quiet reflection and planning.  The chores of harvest are done and the groundwork for next spring is 1-2 months away (mayhap further, depending on where you live).  There's mending and husbandry work to be done (because something is ALWAYS needing mending and the animals need tending to every day), but there is a lot more time to reflect on what's happened this past year and years previous...and look ahead towards the future.

On a personal level, I know that something's brewing.  Like a big storm, I can feel it coming.  I have no clue as to what that storm will bring or what things will be like afterwords, but my hunch is that nothing will be the same.

"Bless the Lord, my soul; and bless God's holy name.
Bless the Lord, my soul; who leads me into life."

No comments:

Post a Comment