Wednesday, March 2

hmm...of course, I could be wrong (with apologies to MadPriest)

One more handbill and I can afford shoes!
I have frequently referred to myself as a heretic, for the greek base of the word means 'one who chooses or decides' and I like the connotations of that.  Rather than having it all spoon-fed by the pope or the padre, I've done my own digging, praying and reflecting...coming to my own conclusions (whether they be horribly orthodoxical or not).

Then I run into this quote by some old german theologian (no, not the whack-a-doodle, the one named after the civil rights leader).

"I shall never be a heretic; I may err in dispute, but I do not wish to decide anything finally; on the other hand, I am not bound by the opinions of men."   -Martin Luther

I see the wisdom of that, to be sure.  New insights, revelations and circumstances can show the fallacy of what seemed true, the folly of the wise.  For now, I'll settle on heretic, but I could be wrong.

4 comments:

  1. the greek base of the word means 'one who chooses or decides'

    Thanks, Tim. I never knew that. From now on when I am accused of heresy I shall say "thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Specifically, αίρεση (haireson), from αἵρεσις..a self-chosen opinion, also a sect. The undertone which is often lost is the importance of the choice being personal in nature.

    So, when Paul is accused of being of a certain sect, they're using the word heresy to say he's read the Law for himself and come up with a personally different opinion (Acts 24).

    Also? You're very welcome. Thank you for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I proudly admit to being a heretic since I was seven and pointed out an error in the Baltimore catechism. I noted that God could not be all powerful and do all things if He could not create someone more powerful than himself. That little observation almost prevented my first communion.

    Now I know better. God did create someone more powerful than himself----the pope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know better. God did create someone more powerful than himself----the pope.

    Well, there is no way a good Catholic could, now is there? Just curious, but is that statement Ex Cathedra or did the ordinary Magesterium decide that it was infallible?

    ReplyDelete