Tuesday, March 8

Iacta alea est

One river, roman legion not included.
The phrase 'Crossing the Rubicon' is used with frequency to refer to a decision that, once made, cannot be undone.

The eponymous example involves the Roman law that any general who enters the province of Italy without disbanding his army will be considered raising war against Rome, with the penalty that the general and every member of his army will be put to death.  The Rubicon River was the boundary line between Cisalpine Gaul (which was under Gaius Julius Caesar's governorship) and Italy proper.

Seutonius describes how Caesar underscores the step they were considering taking.  "Even now, we can turn back, but once across that bridge, all will be done by force of arms."  Caesar hesitates and ponders, eventually having a vision which spurs him on to say those famous words. "We take the course which the signs of the gods and the false dealing of our foes point out.  The die is cast!" (an alternate translation to this last would be 'The game is afoot').

Not unlike Caesar, I have stood astride my own river, pondering if I should, if I could, if I DARE do this dangerous thing.  I had no vision, but a Still, Small Voice which has lead me to paraphrase Caesar:

"Sequar ostenta quo Deus ostenta audivi. Iacta alea est!"

I will follow the signs by which I have heard God. The game is afoot!

Tonight, the Ministry Council will be informed regarding my candidacy for presbyter ordination and will discuss same with a mind as to how to proceed. May our loving Father grant us all wisdom and clarity.

Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment