Tuesday, July 5

Wu Wei and standing in the stream

Talking with my mother (who had four years of theology in college back when college work was rigorous) this weekend brought to light a trouble I am wrestling with and, in its own way, reflects on the gent to the left here.

You see, back in the day, my si-hing told me that books about Tai-Chi were useless because if you knew the form, they couldn't show you anything you didn't already know and if you didn't know the form, they couldn't teach your anything.  In short, one must experience Tai Chi for yourself.

As I look towards formal formation processes, I seem to run the demand to know the '-ologies' and '-icies'. Read this person, not that person...study this school of thought, not that school of thought.  Other than a cereberal interest, though, I recognize that it is reading about Tai Chi, not practicing Tai Chi, and no amount of study about God will supplant the experience of being WITH God.

So, I'm kind of stuck.  I see the value of study (for there is some value in study), but it is the palest shadow compared to the experience of the Divine and the transformative spiritual power which can from a single moment in Her presence.  I'm not sure if this is a subtle way of Coyote saying that I should consider other paths or what is going on.  Right now, most of what I hear is "You're a smart lad, you'll figure it out."  Thanks, Dad.

I recall when, by being mindful of the stream of life, the Tao, one can feel the currents of the Universe.  By being mindful of these things, one can act without acting (Wu Wei) and accomplish everything without effort.  
Obey the nature of things (the Tao), and you will walk freely and undisturbed.
When thought is in bondage the truth is hidden, for everything is murky and unclear and the burdensome practice of judging brings annoyance and weariness.
What benefit can be derived from distinctions and separations?   (Seng-ts'an, Hsin Hsin Ming)
Guess I need to listen more.

No comments:

Post a Comment