Wednesday, May 19

C'mon people, this isn't rocket science

Today's Reading from the Acts of the Apostles:

"So be vigilant and remember that for three years, night and day, I unceasingly admonished each of you with tears. And now I commend you to God and to that gracious word of his that can build you up and give you the inheritance among all who are consecrated.

I have never wanted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. You know well that these very hands have served my needs and my companions. In every way I have shown you that by hard work of that sort we must help the weak, and keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said,

‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ "(Acts 20:31-35)

Comment: On the right, there is an image of his Holiness, the Servant of the servants of God, seated on a golden throne and swaddled in embroidered velvet and fur within a room covered in marble. There are a billion people on this planet who live on less than $1/day. The UN reports that, globally, 58% of all deaths are due to starvation.

This poorbox on the left is a very ambivalent image to me, both for the form and for the function. A wooden man with outstretched hand and placard exhorting tithing is a powerful guilt trip, yet the alms collected can do much to feed sheep...if the money isn't used to get new Prada's for his Holiness or build an even bigger mega-church or put another layer of gold on the mosque dome.

"Do you love me? Feed my sheep."

No comments:

Post a Comment