Wednesday, May 12

Lessons from Saints - Pancras

Pancras (aka Pancratius) was a boy from Phrygia (now central Turkey) who, after his parents dying in his youth, moved to Rome with his uncle, Dionysius. The pair converted to Christianity in Rome and were later arrested for their faith. Pancras' great faith intrigued CæsarDiocletian, who reportedly questioned the boy and attempted to re-convert him. After turning down the offer of becoming Diocletians adopted son, the Cæsar had him beheaded (as it's the only way to be sure a saint is dead (St. Denis non-withstanding)). His body was recovered by a wealthy woman and preserved, with his relics being translated to England during it's evangelization period and Augustine of Cantebury dedicated the first church in England to Pancras. Legend holds that any who swear a false oath in the presence of the relics will be struck down and die.

Pancras had a choice given to him - death or a life of ease with the only 'cost' to him would be his conscience. For this boy of 14, the choice was not difficult, he would prefer a clean conscience to an easy life. Recent events prove that it is much more difficult for a man of 40. The road ahead for me is still beset by troubles and hardships, to be sure. That said, I realize that my heart and mind are in alignment once again.

One must hold true to one's values, lest you become a rudderless ship blown about by every tempestuous emotion. When (not if) that occurs, one must seize upon the tiller and steer things aright with all alacrity. I may or may not be sailing with a crew in my near future, that part is not up to me. What I do know is that my hand is upon the rudder again and I shall never be sailing alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment