Thursday, May 27

Lessons from Saints - Jeanne d'Arc

Sunday is the feast of Joan of Arc.

Born in the waning days of the hundred years war, she heard voices and had visions at age 12. Spurred on by these visions, she defied social conventions of the day and came to lead the unification of France for Charles VII. During the course of these battles, she survived a cannonshot to the head, an arrow through her neck and a crossbow bolt through the leg. Eventually captured, she was sold to the English, tried for heresy and burned at the stake at the age of 19.

Throughout her brief life, Jeanne never wavered in her faith and the belief that she was doing the work laid out for her by God. Through war, famine, rape, abandonment, condemnation, trial and death at the hands of the Church - through all of that she never lost faith. Her example in deeds brings to mind the refrain to the hymn "Here I am, Lord"

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

She heard and she did. May any of us be able to follow her example.

No comments:

Post a Comment