Thursday, March 15

Today's Reading: Long Division

"Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste and house divided against itself will fall. And if Satan is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand?" (Luke 11:17-18)

No, I haven't been blogging recently and I have found it increasingly difficult to comment on other people's blogs.  Part of it is a cyclical issue dealing with personal matters, but a larger portion is this scripture verse.

Whether it is political discourse, religious ramblings or general societal scuttlebutt, I see time and again the lack of a willingness to embrace a unifying position. I could provide examples and point fingers, but the bottom line is a dearth of comity and a callous, unyielding nature which creates a gulf that separates us as human beings one from another.

If the Kingdom of G-d belongs to the people of G-d, how can it stand if we are divided?  Divided Muslims and Jews, catholics and protestants, clergy and laity, young and old, male and female.  Are not these divisions artifical constructs of our own making and, if so, do we not have the power to erase them?  It is not about a 'Right Way', but recognizing that your way is no less valid or 'right' than my own way, even if it is different.  It is about respecting the G-d in others, just as I should respect myself for She resides in me.

Be patient, kind, forgiving and loving, for that is what you would wish others to do for you.  If we do not, then we have separated ourselves from each other and from G-d.  I'm seeing that as a bad plan.


1 comment:

  1. Abundant peace and blessings be yours, Tim. I stand with you on what you have said.

    ReplyDelete