Wednesday, September 8

Je pense plus trop, te pense plus trop, nous pensons tout que trop.

Whenever I would become absorbed in a deep problem and over-analyze it to where I was mentally walking in circles, a very good friend of mine would smile and kindly say "tu pense plus trop" - You think too much.

There's been a good deal of theological heavy lifting that's been going on in my general vicinity as of late, both myself and others online and IRL. Whether it's people asking about the validity of ordination of women or the perennial 'why do bad things happen to "good" people' to questions about the readings (How can God really say we need to 'hate' anyone to be a good disciple?) I can see how folk can get in a tizzy over all of this.

I'm coming to the opinion that we're thinking too much. Believe and do good. What is good? If you're in question about something, sit and listen to the Spirit-filled conscience which is within you. Yes, I can dig up verses which justify all of this, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Are there things to consider, matters which require interpretation and related concepts? Sure! But it all comes back to "Believe, listen to the Spirit-filled conscience, do good."

At least....that's where I'm at for the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we can become lost in our own thoughts. We can also try to "just be", to breathe deeply, and to listen more.

    ReplyDelete