Monday, July 26

How much for just one rib?

The Old Testament reading this week was from Genesis 18, where the Lord speaks to Abraham as they overlook Sodom. I couldn't help but chuckle listening to this whole section being read aloud, and so I'll share with the class. Jehovah says that He's gonna lay waste to Sodom because, and I quote,

“The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave.** I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know.” (Gen 18:20-21)

Hearing this, Abraham sets to bargaining with God.

"Ya wouldn't kill good people with the bad, now wouldya God, wouldya?" "Well, no."
"What if I can find 50 people, would ya save the town for fifty people?" "If you can find 50, sure"
"45? What about 45?" "well...ok"
"What about 35? You'd save the town for 35 good people, right?" "*sighs* fine."
"Do I hear 30? 30 to the man in the long beard."
"Can I have 25 righteous people here? 25 righteous people going once, going...I have a bid."
"Do I hear 20? Twenty...thank you sir."
"10? Can I get the salvation of a city for 10 pious men? Going once, twice...Sold to the wrathful god in the corner."

Seriously. He wheedles God down from 50 pious people to 10. Having read the rest of the story, of course, we know that Abraham couldn't keep his side of the bargain and the whole place gets the works anyways. Still, ya gotta give Abraham credit for some real chutzpah.

Does make you wonder how big a town you could get for some lapsed-but-basically-good-if-you-don't-count-that-one-time catholics? Or do ya have to be jewish? hmmmmm



**As we all know, of course, the grave sin which Sodom was guilty of was pride and greed (Ezekiel 16:49-50), not homosexuality. Just makin sure we're clear on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment