Tuesday, July 13

well, ain't that something

So, I was pulling into the townhouse complex this evening when a thoroughly average and mundane thing happened. There were two LDS elders doing their missionary duty, knocking on houses and proselytizing as they do. What makes this worth talking about is what happened next.

See, I've never been much for evangelization. Blame it on the dour scottish roots of my Presbyterian upbringing or the general courtesy of not discussing religion, but it's just somewhat crass and 'not done'. Combine that with the fact that I'm not much about their particular form of Christianity (which some may not even call as such) and it makes for an unpleasant conversation. Then it hit me.

"For the one who is not against us is for us. " (Mark 9:40)

Now, I never considered it in just that light until that particular moment. As it has been really blinkin hot today (around 40C/100F), I went upstairs to get some ice water for those lads who have been walking around in the sun, but by the time I got back outside, they were gone. Still, I guess I have been paying attention after all. :)

Even more of interest is when I went to look up this verse to quote it, I found this:

"For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward." (Mark 9:41)

Have I ever mentioned about the Divine and his sense of humour?

No comments:

Post a Comment