Monday, October 4

Billy and Francis and Tim

It's been three weeks since I blogged about Billy Lucas.  I have a pic of him here at work, staring back at me with a soft yet piercing gaze, a silent reminder of what could have been and what could be prevented.  In the last three weeks, five more boys have died by their own hands.


Died because of intolerance.
Died because of insensitivity.
Died because of indifference.

Francis of Assisi said "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle."

Paul exhorts Timothy, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."

Timothy was a boy about Billy's age when that was written, about the age I was when I first heard the Voice within. Timothy is my name too.

Stand up for what's right. Stand up for your neighbor. Stand up for God.

A single voice can make a difference.
A single action can save a life.
A single person can, and did, change the world.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a sermon that picks up on the theme.

    http://www.saintmarksphiladelphia.org/sermons/2010/10/10/facebook-lepers.html

    ReplyDelete